Wednesday 29 July 2009

08 - Park & Ride

Not content with (1) Route 66 and (2) the shuttle bus, there is, as in so many areas of life, a third way. In this case, a third bus service that plies its trade between downtown Ipswich and out-of-town Martlesham. Two words, folks: Park & Ride. Incidentally, if you've got five minutes to spare -- hey, you're reading this -- go from PARK to RIDE by changing one letter at a time.

Into the town centre on the bike, and as I was locking up outside the library, a bright pink vehicle disappeared down Great Colman Street. Darn it, missed that one. No matter, there'll be another one along in 10 minutes (7am to 7pm, I believe). Quite satisfying to watch the bus stop's electronic display slowly count down: 5 mins, 4 mins, ..., due. And here it is, the 800 service at 0800 hours: you will know synchronicity.

Er, I'd like to do the ride in reverse, please, Mr Driver, going out to Martlesham then back to Ipswich later. Er, not sure we do that, he says, rightly confused. What kind of fool uses a P&R service back to front and with no car? Me! But we can do a single, he says: that'll be £2. Done, I say. Ticket reads:

BOARDED: Town Centre
ALIGHT: Martlesham

Since everyone in their right mind is coming IN to town at this time of the morning, I've got the whole shebang to myself. Roadworks cause us to zigzag up St Margaret's Green and up Tuddenham Road, joining the A1214 where Valley Road becomes Colchester Road. Past the Royal George which is evidently holding a Psychic Night tonight: no jokes. One more stop near Heath Road, then out on the taxi route through the 30mph commuterlands of Kesgrave. Held up slightly by the odd pesky cyclist: why do they let these people on the roads?

Before we know it -- actually around 8:15am -- we've arrived at the terminus by the A12. All very swish, this being the most recent of three P&Rs around the town provided by Suffolk County Council. This is where I should have parked my car, had I been doing it right. As I disembark, a small crowd embarks. Now how do I reach Adastral Park?

I'm impressed that there's a pedestrian exit leading to a crossing, and over I go down along the oddly named Portal Avenue. That unlovely place on the right is the Suffolk Constabulary HQ, as featured on telly whenever there's crime to report.

There then follows an excursion into Michael Smith psychogeography as I venture into the places between places, heading down overgrown pathways, into an underpass and through the car parks of anonymous retail parks, the BT radio tower always in sight. Fully 25 minutes elapse before I'm showing my passcard, quite a trudge.

Later, I rewind my steps for the return leg. I'm totally out of sync, dodging a horde getting off the pink bus before I get on, alone again or. Takes no times at all to get back to Major's Corner. Well, quarter of an hour. Bonus to turn the corner of Old Foundry Road and find the bike still there.

Cost - £2 single; around £3.50 for a return covering up to 5 people
Duration - 15 mins (08:00-08:15), then 25 mins walk to the site

Pros - regular; quick; all the advantages of Life In The Bus Lane
Cons - the walk to Adastral Park

No comments:

Post a Comment