Monday 20 July 2009

01 - Bicycle

What better way to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the moon landing than by launching (oh yes) an ill-thought out idea concerning more down-to-earth travel arrangements? Starting today, I'll see if I can get to work each day -- for this week at least -- using a different means of transport. This isn't rocket science.

My job is based at Adastral Park, which is either "the world leading hi-tech park" (says BT) or "a science campus based at Martlesham Heath" (says Wikipedia). I live on the west side of Ipswich, roughly 8 miles away. Today: the bike.

Time to confess that today's trip isn't exactly a challenge or novelty. Around half-eight most mornings, I'm normally to be found on two wheels halfway up the A1214. I try to use the bike every day, whatever the weather. Entering the office, I could be horribly sweaty, totally soaked, frozen to bits or mildly frostbitten, though usually somewhere in between.

It usually takes me half an hour for the 7-8 mile journey. Conditions today were near perfect: sunny, dry, and the hint of a following wind. My usual route comprises Valley Road (nice wide cycle lane) to Colchester Road (lane disappears) and out on Woodbridge Road past Rushmere Golf Club. Then, once in Kesgrave, I take a literal turn and head for the best kept secret that is the Grange Farm cycle path. No cars, though plenty of schoolkids during term time walking or riding three or four abreast. Luckily this is day one of the summer hols.

Past the Control Tower Museum and the MH shops, over the pedestrian bridge by Kingpin and I'm all but there. Out with the site pass and I can lock up outside the office, which is nice.

Cost - zero, though it helps to own a bike, panniers, lock, etc.
Duration - 30 mins (8:15 - 8:45)

Pros - free with an hour's aerobic exercise thrown in each day
Cons - requires willpower in the rain & wind; crumpled clothes

No comments:

Post a Comment